Prioritising sectors, value chain segments and constraints
Coordinating within government and between government and the private sector
Building up implementation capability in key parts of government
- ^ Industrial Parks Development Corporation (IPDC), “Industrial Parks Developed and under Construction”, May 2019, http://www.ipdc.gov.et/index.php/en/industrial-parks.
- ^ Cepheus Research & Analytics, “Ethiopia’s Industrial Parks: A Data Pack on Recent Performance”, July 2019, https://cepheuscapital.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Industrial-Parks-Overview.pdf.
- ^ Ibid.
- ^ Ibid., and “News Analysis: Chinese-built Industrial Parks Drive Ethiopia’s Ambition in Manufacturing Sector, Job Creation”, Xinhua, 30 August 2019, http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2019-08/30/c_138349024.htm.
- ^ For a more detailed discussion on these arguments, see Section 2 of Kartik Akileswaran, Antoine Huss, Dan Hymowitz and Jonathan Said, “The Jobs Gap: Making Inclusive Growth Work in Africa”, Tony Blair Institute for Global Change, June 2017, https://institute.global/sites/default/files/inline-files/IGC_Jobs%20Gap_13.07.17x.pdf.
- ^ “Growth and Transformation Plan II (GTP II) (2015/16–2019/20), Volume 1: Main Text”, National Planning Commission, Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia (FDRE), May 2016, https://www.greengrowthknowledge.org/sites/default/files/downloads/policy-database/ETHIOPIA%29%20Growth%20and%20Transformation%20Plan%20II%2C%20Vol%20I.%20%20%282015%2C16-2019%2C20%29.pdf.
- ^ Ibid.
- ^ Mamo Mihretu and Gabriela Llobet, “Looking Beyond the Horizon: A Case Study of PVH’s Commitment to Ethiopia’s Hawassa Industrial Park”, World Bank Group, June 2017, https://openknowledge.worldbank.org/bitstream/handle/10986/28334/117230-REVISED-PVH-Case-Study-13th-July-HR-singles.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y.
- ^ For example, see: John Page and Finn Tarp (eds), The Practice of Industrial Policy: Government–Business Coordination in Africa and East Asia (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2017), https://oapen.org/download?type=document&docid=628111; and David Booth, Linda Calabrese and Frederick Golooba-Mutebi, “Coordinating Public and Private Action for Export Manufacturing: International Experience and Issues for Rwanda”, Supporting Economic Transformation, July 2017, https://set.odi.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/SET-Rwanda_Coordinating-export-manufacturing_FINAL.pdf.
- ^ During this time, the Ministry of Trade and Industry was known as the Ministry of Industry, and the EFDA was known as the Food, Medicine and Health Care Administration and Control Authority (FMHACA).
- ^ We are aware that labour rights, wages and other related issues are currently being hotly contested in Ethiopia, but this is beyond the scope of our discussion here.
- ^ See Ivan Rossignol, “Which Policies Support Growth and Diversification?”, presentation to the Global Empowerment Meeting, Harvard University, 2016, http://projects.iq.harvard.edu/files/gem/files/18._rossignol_wb_struct_transf.pdf.