Figure 1 – National charge rate for offences recorded from March 2015 to March 2021
Figure 2 – Indexed trends in crime nationally from 2011 to 2020
Figure 5 – Proportion of offences leading to charge or summons in 2014 to 2015 versus 2020 to 2021
Figure 6 – Average proportion of incidents that continue to deployment in a mid-sized, urban police force
Figure 7 – Recorded-crime versus arrest rates for the year ending March 2020
Figure 8 – Average numbers of days from offence to completion, including specifically to charge, in 2019 versus 2011
Figure 9 – Proportion of crimes in England and Wales resulting in charges, summons or evidential-difficulties outcomes, 2015 to 2021
Figure 10 – Proportion of all trials that were effective, ineffective or cracked, including the reason why, 2010 to 2021
Figure 11 – Volume of outstanding Crown Court cases, grouped by length of delay, 2014 to 2021
Figure 12 – Outcome of post-custodial, sentence-supervision breaches in 2017
Figure 13 – Outcomes of community-order breaches, 2016 to 2018
Figure 14 – Number of recorded crimes per police officer in England and Wales, 2010 to 2018
Figure 15 – Proportion of complex crimes, including serious violence and sexual offences, as part of the overall crime mix, 2014 to 2023 (projected)
Figure 17 – Average length of time on pre-charge bail versus release under investigation across 10 police forces, 2016/2017 and 2018/2019
- ^ https://bills.parliament.uk/bills/2839
- ^ Nagin and Pogarsky, “Integrating Celerity, Impulsivity, and Extralegal Sanction Threats into a Model of General Deterrence: Theory and Evidence,” Criminology, 39(4), 2001.
- ^ Weisburd et al, 2010.
- ^ Pogarsky et al, 2005, Earnhart and Friesen, 2014.
- ^ https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/08/police-cuts-likely-contributed-to-rise-in-violent-leaked-report-reveals.
- ^ Bradford, 2011, ‘Police Numbers and Crime Rates – A Rapid Evidence Review’, HMIC.
- ^ Sherman and Eck, 2002.
- ^ Ratcliffe et al, 2020.
- ^ Motz, “Does contact with the justice system deter or promote future delinquency?” Dec 2019, https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1745-9125.12236.
- ^ https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/956621/youth-justice-statistics-2019-2020.pdf
- ^ Ibid.
- ^ https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/criminal-justice-system-statistics-quarterly-december-2020
- ^ https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/teenage-thugs-need-tougher-prison-sentences-says-metropolitan-police-chief-cressida-dick-a3687251.html
- ^ Cost and Demand of Mental Health to the Metropolitan Police Service and the Public, Metropolitan Police Service, 2018
- ^ https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice/bulletins/crimeinenglandandwales/yearendingjune2021#anti-social-behaviour
- ^ https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-47582743 and https://www.met.police.uk/SysSiteAssets/foi-media/metropolitan-police/disclosure_2019/june_2019/information-rights-unit---response-times-for-999-callsgradestiers-from-2013-to-2018
- ^ Jordi Blanes i Vidal and Tom Kirchmaier, “The effect of police response time on crime clearance rates,” 2017, http://www.restud.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/DetectedResponse09.pdf
- ^ This may partly be a function of the fact that the “golden hour” for evidence collection is the first hour after a crime incident has occurred.
- ^ https://www.justiceinspectorates.gov.uk/hmicfrs/publication-html/a-joint-thematic-inspection-of-the-police-and-crown-prosecution-services-response-to-rape-phase-one/
- ^ For example, see the section on the rape review within the Victims’ Commissioner’s annual report, 2020-21, https://s3-eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/victcomm2-prod-storage-119w3o4kq2z48/uploads/2021/07/VC-annual-report-2020-21-FINAL.pdf
- ^ Justice Inspectorate, Joint Thematic Response to CPS and Police Response to Rape, 2021.
- ^ Ibid.
- ^ https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/criminal-justice-system-statistics-quarterly-december-2019/criminal-justice-statistics-quarterly-december-2019-html
- ^ Court statistics for England and Wales, House of Commons Briefing Paper, Dec 2020, https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-8372/CBP-8372.pdf
- ^ Autumn Budget and Spending Review 2021 https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1029973/Budget_AB2021_Print.pdf
- ^ Richardson et al, forthcoming, Using appeal case summaries to assess changes in the presence of digital evidence in police investigations Home Office publication.
- ^ George and Ferguson, “Review into the CJS response to adult rape and serious sexual offences across England and Wales,” June 2021, https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/994817/rape-review-research-report.pdf
- ^ Ibid.
- ^ https://www.justiceinspectorates.gov.uk/hmicfrs/publication-html/a-joint-thematic-inspection-of-the-police-and-crown-prosecution-services-response-to-rape-phase-one/#police-investigations
- ^ https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/994817/rape-review-research-report.pdf
- ^ Hohl and Stanko, 2015
- ^ The Law Society (2019), Release under investigation
- ^ Peel Police Effectiveness 2017, A National Overview, https://www.justiceinspectorates.gov.uk/hmicfrs/wp-content/uploads/peel-police-effectiveness-2017-2.pdf
- ^ Ibid.