Figure 1.1: Map of Countries Affected by Violent Islamist Extremism, 2017 (zoom in to see more detail)
The Full Report
- ^ Milo Comerford and Rachel Bryson, Struggle Over Scripture: Charting the Rift Between Islamist Extremism and Mainstream Islam, Tony Blair Institute for Global Change, 6 December 2017, https://institute.global/insight/co-existence/struggle-over-scripture-charting-rift-between-islamist-extremism-and; Mubaraz Ahmed, Milo Comerford and Emman El-Badawy, Milestones to Militancy: What the Lives of 100 Jihadis Tell Us About a Global Movement, Tony Blair Institute for Global Change, 23 April 2016, https://institute.global/insight/co-existence/milestones-militancy-what-lives-100-jihadis-tell-us-about-global-movement.
- ^ “Istanbul Reina nightclub attack suspect captured”, BBC News, 17 January 2017, https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38645787.
- ^ See also Comerford and Bryson, Struggle Over Scripture.
- ^ Rukmini Callimachi, “The Case of the Purloined Poultry: How ISIS Prosecuted Petty Crime”, New York Times, 1 July 2018, https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/01/world/middleeast/islamic-state-iraq.html.
- ^ Peter Beaumont, “Moab attack on Isis was a baffling choice in cold-blooded terms of cost”, Guardian, 14 April 2017, https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/apr/14/moab-attack-isis-baffling-choice-cold-blooded-terms-cost-afghanistan.
- ^ Reuters, “Civilian deaths in Afghanistan at record high, UN says”, Guardian, 15 July 2018, https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/15/civilian-deaths-afghanistan-record-high-un-says.
- ^ Osama bin Laden’s 1996 religious ruling and his 1998 ruling titled “Jihad Against Jews and Crusaders”.
- ^ “East African Embassy Bombings”, Federal Bureau of Investigation, https://www.fbi.gov/history/famous-cases/east-african-embassy-bombings.
- ^ “Mapping Militant Organizations: Al Qaeda”, Stanford University, http://web.stanford.edu/group/mappingmilitants/cgi-bin/groups/view/21.
- ^ Brad Plummer, “Nine facts about terrorism in the United States since 9/11”, Washington Post, 11 September 2013, https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2013/09/11/nine-facts-about-terrorism-in-the-united-states-since-911/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.f12a7ed01310.
- ^ Bruce Hoffman, “Al Qaeda’s Uncertain Future”, Studies in Conflict & Terrorism 36, no. 8 (2013): 636.
- ^ Emman El-Badawy, Milo Comerford and Peter Welby, Inside the Jihadi Mind: Understanding Ideology and Propaganda, Tony Blair Institute for Global Change, 6 October 2015, https://institute.global/insight/co-existence/inside-jihadi-mind-understanding-ideology-and-propaganda.
- ^ Ibid.