Early Responses to Covid-19
Figure 2 – Case/death rates and party-response aggressiveness
The Evolution of Responses
China and Covid-19 Conspiracies
The Return of Core Issues?
The Future of Support
- ^ In our previous reports, we define cultural populist parties as parties claiming that “the true people are the native members of the nation-state, and outsiders can include immigrants, criminals, ethnic and religious minorities, and cosmopolitan elites.” This term is synonymous with Cas Mudde’s Populist Radical Right Parties.
- ^ Cas Mudde, Populist Radical Right Parties in Europe, ch. 5. New York, NY: Cambridge University Press (2007).
- ^ Tjitske Akkerman ‘The Netherlands’ in Populism and the Pandemic, eds. Giorgos Katsambekis and Yannis Stavrakakis.
- ^ Akkerman ‘The Netherlands.’
- ^ The FvD is unlikely to be in a coalition in the near-term however as their support imploded in late 2020 because of anti-semitism charges and their confused Covid-19 response.
- ^ Widerstand translates as ‘resistance’ while Querdenken roughly translates as ‘thinking outside the box.’